The Company now offered more services than at its inception in 1905, and continued to expand.
The Company had been one of the first, if not the first Taunton Company, to change from Horse drawn corteges to Motor corteges.
Our first Motor hearse was constructed and coach built here in Taunton at
In 1971 Percy’s son, Adrian, entered the business, continuing the family
tradition into its third generation.
The levels of service and facilities continued to progress, when, in 1982, new Chapels of Rest; Preparation area and garaging were constructed.
The Company’s commitment to improvement continues and will do so into the future.
To compliment the commitment to our services the Company offer a fleet of Black Jaguars, one Hearse and one Limousine, and two first call private funeral ambulances.
Grandfather and Founder
Ernest Edward White
The company was founded in 1905 by Ernest White, who, at that time offered his professional services from premises situated in Eastbourne Road, Taunton. As was the norm at that time, he was also a builder.
With the passage of time and the growth of the Town, many houses were constructed by him in the Eastleigh Road area of Taunton.
The business progressed and expanded and he moved to new premises at: 24, East Reach. Taunton.
In 1928, at the tender age of fourteen, Ernest’s son, Percy joined the business as an apprentice.
The 1930’s saw a turning point in the Company’s history, when the decision was made to relinquish the building side of the business and concentrate solely upon Funeral Directing.
Property was purchased at 138/139 East Reach, and our present premises were constructed, incorporating an Office, Chapel of Rest, Workshops and Garaging.
At this stage the business became a Private Limited Company with the title of E. White & Son (Taunton) Ltd.
Ernest Percy White
The Company is a wholly independent and family run Company, who are members of the Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors, as well as long standing members of the National Association of Funeral Directors. Both these professional organisations operate Codes of Practice, which are recognised by the Office of Fair Trading, to which this Company adheres.
Through the traditional standard of quality service we have provided since 1905, and with the changing attitudes towards Funerals, we are also able to offer and provide Prepaid Funerals through our association with Golden Charter, an independent Company recommended by the Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors and wholly endorsed by us.
We also operate our own Floristry Department, which is looked after by our qualified florist Susan White, who is a Family Director of the Company.
Our expertise and contacts within the Funeral and allied professions enables us to offer a Complete Funeral Service to our clients.
We thought you might like to see this.
We have been looking through our archives and found 2 invoice bills.
First one from 1921 the Funeral cost just £11.00 and the second one in 1946 where the cost was £16.16